Thursday, August 30, 2012

Too Much A Secret

What may be the best kept secret about Second Baptist? I think Victory Garden would have to make the finalists' list. I want to share some statistics with you. This report can be extremely boring, unless you remember that behind every number are poor people all over our area who had extra to eat because of these numbers. Feast your eyes on this.

3,740 tomatoes (my favorites--I could eat fresh grown tomatoes at every meal year round), 3,000 green onions, 2,500 bulb onions (bad breath, but great eating), 3,500 radishes.

115 gallons of green beans, 26 gallons of peppers (sweet, mild, and hot), 50 gallons of squash and zucchini, and 260 gallons of cucumbers (Did I mention I'm addicted to pickles?).

1,150 pounds of lettuce, 488 pounds of potatoes, 9,600 pounds of corn. The latter number came alive to me when a friend told me his dad planted 1.5 acres of corn, and harvested only 8 ears due to raccoons and drought.

Our Master told us to care for the poor. Thanks to everyone who labored in our Victory Garden to help us obey Him.

Twitter & FB john316marshall