Wednesday, December 24, 2014

2 Corinthians Again

It's Christmas Eve. I just now finished my annual reading of the Bible, a custom I have maintained since 1976. 2015 will mark my 40th time to read the entire Bible. This is by far the most important spiritual discipline of my life. My life would be much impoverished without it.

Once I finish this annual habit, I try to read 2 Corinthians again. There are several reasons for this--one of the most important being the emotional bond between a preacher and a congregation that permeates the book. The Corinthians had their problems, yet Paul radically loved them.

Ruth and I feel this way about Second. We revel in our 19-year love affair with our church. These words from 2 Corinthians 7:4 brought this truth to mind this morning, "Great is my confidence in you; great is my boasting on your behalf." Ruth and I feel honored to serve at Second.

Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall