Saturday, September 4, 2010

Serious Thoughts About Jeans

By far and away, most responses to my wearing jeans at the 11:00 service these past two Sundays have been humorous in nature.  A few, though, have cut to the heart of the issue by intimating how we dress does have a huge impact in USA culture.  Clothes do make a statement in our society, like it or not.

One commenter admitted, “I am old school,. . .but I do hope this is not habit forming. . .I think God deserves our best on Sunday morning.”  Another wrote, “I want to be able to recognize my leader. You speak volumes dressed in a suit, without saying a word.”

Coming from a different perspective, a young missionary shared her serious thoughts.  “If you put your mind to it and wear those jeans more often, you could rock and reach the younger/out of the box generations/thinkers.  Thank you for modeling “stepping out of comfort zone” to reach some! This sister is proud.”

Leave it to my sweet Ruth to bring a message with a wallop.  She shared in her post a family story that has become a legend.  Her dad volunteered to wear overalls instead of his suit in order to get a friend to come to church.  The man came.  He and his whole family became believers as a result. The man went on to become one of the most godly Christians Ruth has ever known.  Interestingly, he became a longtime pillar of a Southern Baptist church here in Springfield.  Ruth also wrote about me, “I love your suit and your jeans.  You example the ROCK in both.”  I love impartial analyses of myself.

iTunes Ruth Marshall
Family blog www.yeebird.blogspot.com
Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall