Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Prayer Walking Insights

This morning I finished my third trek of prayer walking in my neighborhood. We're asking all our Second Baptist people to do this for Holy Week. I'm finding it helpful.

I've never been a huge fan of prayer walking. I remember when I first heard the phrase, "walking on site with insight." I thought is was a bit cheesy. Time, though, can soften an attitude.

Here's what I'm learning. Walking does help me stay focused in prayer. I have a serious problem with my mind wandering while in prayer. Prayer walking lets my legs, rather than my thoughts, wander.

Prayer walking also lets me have a chance to mingle with folks. Here's what I've learned thus far. If you want to interact with your neighbors, 7:30pm is too late to prayer walk, 7:10am is too early, 7:30am is just about right. This morning I had opportunity to tell a neighbor I am praying for her. She said thank you, and I think she really meant it.

One more benefit of Prayer walking is, I'm becoming more burdened for my neighbors. What can I do to help them? How can we all become better acquainted? My son John and his wife Amanda are having a block party for their neighborhood this Saturday. I need to do likewise soon.

Twitter & FB john316marshall