Saturday, December 15, 2012

Connecticut

It's the middle of the night. I can't sleep. I'm thinking of little children's bodies being removed from a school under the cover of darkness. I'm praying for parents and grandparents whose nightmare is only beginning. I'm hurting.

Yesterday's luncheon was fun, a wonderful time of laughter. Just as I got back in the car, my phone rang. Our Missions Pastor, Vince Blubaugh, broke the news to me.

After hanging up the phone, I cried out to Heaven, saying "No, God! No, Jesus!" repeatedly. Back at the office I caught a few quick news updates, and then immersed myself in work to keep my sanity.

At Christmastime we sing "Joy to the world, the Lord has come", often forgetting the joy came because the sad was already here in abundance. We celebrate the birth of the Light of the world, often forgetting our planet was shrouded in deep darkness. Jesus came because our world desperately needed Him. It still does.

"Thank you, Jesus, for coming to us in the Bethlehem event, and for coming to us in the Connecticut event, Please comfort us as only You can. Amen."

Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall