Friday, March 21, 2014

Bible Reading in 100 Days

For more than 30 years, I have encouraged people to read the entire Bible every year. Pat Day, one of our deacons and a Sunday School teacher, accepted this challenge. Recently he decided to read the whole Bible in 100 days. I asked him why was he doing this. I want to share with you his response.

"I love to read and thought it odd that I devour mystery/action novels but plod through the Bible. It is the greatest mystery/action book there is so I decided to try something new. For me, reading the books in chunks of 3-5 chapters often lost the flow of the story. When you read Acts in two days you see the action and intensity. As I read through the OT, I saw the repetition of phrases, commands and sin. For me, it gives me a better feel for the whole book. I have highlighted more than I ever had before.

It is a commitment, too. I can read 3-5 chapters in 15-20 minutes. But to read at least 12 chapters a day requires a set time and dedication. Once I finish this read through, I am going to take the rest of the year to reread the NT in a different version."

Twitter and FB john316marshall