Sunday, October 26, 2014

A Tithing Experiment

Rather than come on too strong about tithing, which I confess I have done in the past, let me offer a truce between us. Could we meet halfway, and agree to an experiment? Would you pray about possibly tithing, talk to your family and friends about it, and give one percentage point more each year to see if you might eventually tithe? I feel strange in doing this, but tithing is an area of life YHWH challenged us to test Him in (Mal. 3:10).

         Raised by tithers to be a tither, I never doubted God expects us to live on 90% of what we make. My earliest recollection of an allowance was fifty cents a week, of which a nickel had to be put in a church-offering envelope. This left me with forty-five cents, which was painful, because it cost fifty cents to go see a movie. Roy Rogers always seemed only a nickel away.

         I fear too many of us can relate to the following humor. After church one Sunday, a family was heading home in the car. The children were in the backseat, listening to their parents assess the day. Dad was pessimistic, "The sermon was too dull, and the music not loud enough." Mom was optimistic, "You have to admit, for a family of four it was a good show for a dollar."


Twitter and FB john316marshall