Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Last Quotable Quotes

“May all your grandchildren be twins” came from Pete Ramsey, who I worked with in Fort Smith. I have always felt it was a good, humorous blessing. It gets different kinds of rises out of people. Some love it. Others groan. It all depends on your perspective.

“I am not a theologian” is a statement preachers are never supposed to make. Of course, its meaning hinges on what you mean by a theologian. If you mean a person who studies and tries to explain the Bible, I am one. If you mean one who stays tucked away in a library, trying to write huge books in small print on the finer details of Christianity, I am not one.

“You aren’t listening fast enough” is an old preacherism intended to divert attention away from the fact you are preaching too long. It always gets a good reaction from the crowd, unless you really are preaching way too long.

"In Heaven, I want to preach 1,000 years.” Ruth replies, “Honey, turn out the lights when you are done.” Wives are wonderful helpers who aid us with reality checks.