Sunday, January 17, 2016

I Love the Bible

I have never known a time when I did not know about and love the Bible. My parents told me stories from it in my earliest childhood. It was a special book to me long before I understood what it is--the inspired, truth without any mixture of error, Word of God.

In recent days I have been doing intense research on the ancient historical background of our Bible. I have been reading critics and supporters alike. The task has been tedious, but I feel it has been worthwhile. From my notes, I am developing a syllabus as the basis for a class on the Bible I hope to teach at Second soon.

I have learned a lot of things in my research. The extent of archaeology and other studies has expanded since I left seminar 40 years ago. There are scholars on all sides of the Bible debate. Scripture is the center of a firestorm in our culture.

The best thing I have learned is that the Bible still stands strong against even its worst critics. I loved the Bible when I was young. I still do, maybe more than ever. I still believe the Bible is God's Holy Word, true and trustworthy in every regard. I am excited to teach about it soon at Second.