Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Fried Chicken and me

My weight is up, primarily due to fried chicken, which I love so much that I count it a dessert. No kidding.


Preachers used to be famous as fried chicken gluttons. A preacher's belt was called the fence around a chicken graveyard. It was said chickens ran to the back of the property when they heard the preacher was coming to lunch. Preachers loved the sounds of money in the offering plate, and clucking.


At my brother's ordination, the last question asked of him was, "Do you like fried chicken?" We all howled with laughter. Charles said yes. I've often wondered, had he said no, would they have ordained him anyway, or would it have put a cloud over the genuineness of his call to the ministry?


Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall