Friday, August 17, 2012

Legacy

I've been thinking quite a bit lately about the legacy I want to pass on to my grandchildren. The main thing I hope they will be able to remember is that I was a man to whom holiness mattered most.

What we pass on to those who come behind us truly does matter. We are stewards of our legacy. Spurgeon wrote, "Our prayer ought not to be that we should see the whole of our success." We should live in such a way that our lives leave an echo for God.

We don't want to be like King Hezekiah, who was flippant about his legacy (2 K 20:19). We have better examples to follow. David gathered material for his son Solomon to use in the temple. Moses commissioned Joshua and Eleazar to lead the nation. Joshua told the people, "Choose you this day whom you will serve." We each have only one life to live here; pray each of our lives will reverberate to the Lord's glory long after we're gone.

Twitter and FB john316marshall