Saturday, October 6, 2012

A Billy Goat Curse?

Today is a happy day for Cardinals fans, but Cubs fans are again bemoaning the failure of their team to make the postseason. I have a special place in my heart for the Cubs. Surely, when they make it to the World Series again, everyone will, at least secretly, hope they win it. A century is long enough to suffer.

My interest in this today was caused by reading something I had never heard of before. On this date in 1945, Billy Sianis, owner of the Billy Goat Tavern, was thrown out of a World Series game at Wrigley Field because the odor of his accompanying pet goat was bothering other fans. Sianis telegrammed team owner Philip Wrigley, "You are never going to win a World Series again because you insulted my goat." They never have won one since.

I don't for one second believe a goat has anything to do with the Cubs' fortunes, but I did find the story absolutely fascinating. It reminds me how stupid we baseball fans can act sometimes. "Lord, help be reasonable in my sports loyalties."

Twitter & FB john316marshall