Monday, January 23, 2012

Props Can Flop

I still think it was a good idea for a sermon prop. How could I have known the paper would burn too long, thus sending up a huge, ongoing curl of smoke at 9:30? And how could I have known at 11:00 the lighter would not light. Click, click, click--is there a sadder sound on the planet?

This is the danger of using props. They are wonderful when they work, but a disaster when they fail. I still think it's worth the risk. I have been unable to get swords back in sheaths. I once broke a stand by hitting a board on it with a hammer. I once could not get a robe on because it got hung on the microphone cord I forgot I was wearing.

Despite the dangers, I plan to keep using props. Being a teacher, I am a radical believer in using whatever that's handy to help the learning process. This having been said, there will probably not be any fires lit during upcoming sermons for a while. Click, click, click.

Dr. John 3:16 Marshall