Thursday, November 8, 2012

Grand Oak

Bob Roberts and I visited Grand Oak today. Dinah Ensor gave us the grand tour. It had been 16 years since I was there. I saw clothes, food, books, poverty, and the love of Jesus on display.

It is easy to stay isolated from poverty on the southeast corner of town. I don't see the raw side of life often. Grand Oak's work is made more poignant by the fact it is less than half a mile from where a large contingency of homeless people live in a wooded area.

The work of the Lord is being done at Grand Oak. It is a Greene County Baptist Association treasure. I'm glad Second is a part of what they are doing. We have for years fed the poor in November through Grand Oak. After today, I'm grateful for every item or penny we send their way.

By the way, while there, Bob asked how the center got its name. I expected to hear a grandiose explanation about a huge tree somewhere on the property. Nope. Not that glamorous. It sits at the corner of Grand and Oak Park Street. Mystery solved.

Twitter and FB john316marshall