Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Triskaidekaphobia

You know I love new long exotic words. I proved that when I led us two years ago as a church in celebrating our quasquicentennial anniversary.

Triskaidekaphobia means fear of the number 13. Lots of people seem to have it, and this unrealistic phobia is increasingly manifesting itself as we approach a new year, 2013, which has the dubious distinction of ending with the number 13.

The number 13 has always had a tough row to hoe. I notice that in tall buildings, when I ride the elevator, the floors often go directly from 12 to 14. I've often wondered if the people on the 14th floor have ever pondered the fact they are actually the 13th, no matter what the lit button on the elevator says.

The problem with this obsession over the number 13 is that it has absolutely no basis in sound reasoning. It's nuts, but superstitious people would never admit that. They would rather suffer with their triskaidekaphobia.

Twitter and FB john316marshall