Saturday, November 3, 2012

Missionary Suitcase

I love sermon props. Rarely do I get "out-propped", but Kenny Qualls slam dunked me at the Missouri Baptist Convention. Just before he brought the annual sermon, a group of men carried a casket (thankfully empty) onto the platform. You can see a picture of it on my Facebook wall. Kenny had our attention.

Several minutes into his sermon, Kenny asked us what we saw beside him. We all of course thought a casket. He then said it was not a casket, but rather a missionary's suitcase. He told us when missionaries left the USA in the old days, they took all their belongings with them in a casket, thereby picturing the fact they intended to never come back home.

The silence in the room was deafening. Dying to self took on a whole new meaning to me in that moment. Thanks, Kenny, for a powerful word.

Twitter & FB john316marshall