Friday, September 19, 2014

Don't Give It Up

I'm going through a frustrating time with the News these days. It is depressing me. There are days when I want to wash my hands of our declining society, check the News never again, and live the rest of my life in an antiseptic bubble.

Then I remember who I am—a child of One who called His followers to be salt, light, and leaven in a lost and dying world. We must fight the temptation to wash our hands of our culture. It needs us right now, maybe more than ever before. For Christ-followers, apathy and absenteeism are not options. We cannot do nothing, we have to do something.

To honor God and to help unbelievers, we must speak to the culture with true gentleness and kindness as part of the truth we straightforwardly have to share. We conservative Christians often lose our influence because we are more quarrelsome and combative than we are conciliatory. Sometimes our method, not our message, offends. As peacemakers, let's try not to raise the ire and resentment in others, as God gives us grace and wisdom to do so.

Twitter and FB john316marshall