Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Mackinac and Sleeping Bears

If you travel to Michigan, two must-sees are Mackinac Island and the Sleeping Bear Dunes. Ruth and I thoroughly enjoyed both sites.

Cars are not allowed on Mackinac Island. It can be reached solely by Ferry Boats. Horses and bicycles are the order of the day. I think it has the largest concentration of bicycles I have ever seen. The horses there are huge, as big as Clydesdales. They do all the transporting of goods on the island. It is truly a step into the past, well worth every penny and minute spent there.

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park is an American treasure. It sits on Lake Michigan, and consists of a sand dune 450 feet tall. Warning signs abound, trying to convince people not to try to descend the dunes. It takes maybe 10 minutes to get to the bottom of the dunes, but about 2 hours to ascend them. And if you can’t make it back up, the rescue fee is $1200. Ouch! Ruth and I decided to stay at the top and enjoy the view.

Ruth and I enjoyed Michigan. The cool weather was especially nice. One cold morning Ruth said, “This is the way summer is meant to be.” Huh? I bought a coat while we were there.