Sunday, March 20, 2011

Our wedding

When I saw Ruth for the first time at our wedding, 40 years ago today, she was the most beautiful sight I had ever seen. Coal-black hair with a white veil. I still remember the moment.


My groomsmen were my cousins Rod and David, plus my uncles John and Don. At a family wedding about one year ago, all five of us were present. Fortunately I had enough presence of mind to have a picture taken of us together.


The preachers were my dad, and Ruth's former Pastor, Loren Robinson. Both preachers are still alive and well.
Dad led us in vowing Ruth 1:16-17 to each other. Ruth had the text engraved on the inside of my wedding ring. It's still there. Ask me, and I'll proudly let you see it.


God smiled on me forty years ago today. I married a lady who has the spiritual gift of giving. Ruth is the most giving person I've ever known, the perfect help-meet for a man with stingy tendencies.


Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall