Friday, October 14, 2011

Cenotaphs and Rules

I lie awake at night wondering about the weirdest things.  Two of my midnight mysteries were solved today. I enjoy cemeteries.  One of my favorite spots is the huge marker in the federal cemetery for General Lyons, who was killed at Wilson's Creek.  The interesting thing is, his body is not there.  It was taken back to New England. This raises the question, what do you call a tombstone that does not have a body present?  Years ago I knew the answer, but couldn't remember it.  Today I found out it's a cenotaph.  I will sleep better now.

Mystery two.  The other night Ryan Howard made the last out in a ballgame.  He injured himself as he made the last swing and was unable to run at all.  He grounded out, but what if he had hit a home run, and could not run the bases?  I couldn't find the answer.  Until today. I thought the batter would be out, but no.  Instead, "a substitute runner shall be permitted to complete the play."  I feel a good night's sleep in my future.

How did I find these answers?  At a lunch meeting today, I raised both questions, hoping someone would know the answer.  After the meeting, our graphic artist, Leah Kiser, through her expertise with Google, provided me the answers.  I told her how impressed I was.  She shrugged it off and said, "That's what you pay me for."  Wow this younger generation is good.  I'm impressed.

Twitter @john316marshall
Facebook  john316marshall