Saturday, February 11, 2012

Presidents' Birthdays

My wife and two children share Presidents' birthdays. Ruth was born on Lincoln's birthday. Tomorrow I celebrate the birthday of my number one lady and my number two President (Washington remains number one in my books).

My son John shares John Kennedy's birthday. I was only eight years old when JFK ran for President, but I vividly remember the absolute furor that raged through many Baptist preachers at the prospect of electing a Roman Catholic. I also remember the assassination with deep sadness.

My daughter Rebekah shares Ronald Reagan's birthday. We all four remember him, and hold him in high esteem. We know he was not perfect, but he did restore for us pride in our country. He made it okay to be patriotic again. I liked that about him.

I share a birthday with no President. In fact, as far as I know, nothing of huge significance has ever happened on December 22. Sad.

Twitter & FB john316marshall