Tuesday, May 22, 2012

More Broken Wrist Thoughts

My recent blog about breaking my wrist while in the act of preaching, which happened in April 1981, brought back a few other salient memories about the event. It did not hurt much until the nurse at ER who was checking me in asked what happened. When I said I broke it while preaching she laughed, and slapped my hand, saying, "You're kidding!!". I saw stars and almost fainted. I would not encourage this technique among ER workers.

An older gentlemen was sitting in the ER waiting area by me. When I told him what had happened, he chuckled, and said, "The Lord sure does speak in mysterious ways." I never did for sure know what he meant by that.

On my last visit to Dr. Glogovac, I told him I would never hit a pulpit hard enough to break a bone again. He laughed and said, "Don't worry about it, it's impossible to break the hamate bone." They always referred to me as the guy with the broken hamate. For it to break, I think three bones had to hit each other end to end at a perfect angle. Only people in car wrecks or other crushing incidents ever broke a hamate, as far as they knew. Wouldn't you know it would happen to me.

By the way, I never have hit a pulpit real hard again ever since then.

Twitter & FB john316marshall