Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tank Man

I've been surprised at the seemingly small amount of attention that has been shown today to the Tank Man. Today in 1989 he singlehandedly stared down a column of Chinese tanks near Tiananmen Square. It was one of the most electrifying moments of my life. The whole world held its collective breath.

No one knows for sure what happened to Tank Man. Some say he was arrested and killed by a firing squad. Others say he disappeared into the crowd, and is hiding out somewhere in China. To me, the most intriguing theory as to his fate is one I recently read. Some think he has never come forward because he does not know of his international fame. Pictures of the incident are forbidden in China. Thus, the unidentified rebel may not know he has inspired millions around the world.

I hope we find out someday who he is. I would love to meet him, and talk with him person to person about that moment. We need to thank God for the freedoms we enjoy here in the USA.

Twitter & FB john316marshall