Saturday, March 9, 2013

A Pastor's Fulfilling Day

Today is the kind of day Pastors were born for. Several things are coming into play for Ruth and me today.

This morning about 4am one of our church's fine young men passed away. This is hard on a preacher, yet somehow down deep in the depths of our soul, we know we were called for this. To be there when people most need help is one of life's greatest blessings.

Right now I am studying for future sermons. One way I know God gave me the spiritual gift of teaching is that I absolutely love to study Bible commentaries. These authors are my advisors and counselors. I lean on them heavily.

At noon Ruth and I will eat lunch with a young couple soon to be married. We will share their joy, talk about the future, and do our best to bless them.

This afternoon Ruth and I will help celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary of two of our dear friends. We will look at pictures, listen to stories, have pictures taken, and then come home with a sense of deep satisfaction.

The ministry for sure has its stresses, but days like today are why we entered this profession. We find meaning and purpose in the tasks God has ordained for us to do. Thank you, Second Baptist, for letting Ruth and me do the things God called us a long time ago to do.

Twitter & FB john316marshall