Thursday, September 3, 2015

94th Anniversary

My Grandpa and Grandma Marshall married on this date, September 3, in 1921. They went on to have 13 children, 12 of whom lived to adulthood. My dad was child #4 and is the eldest remaining sibling at age 88. We are dedicating a new tombstone to Grandpa and Grandma in Cape Girardeau on Labor Day at noon. It has the names of all 13 of the children on it.

When Grandpa asked Grandma to marry him, she said, “You make me sick.” Grandpa, taking it in stride, replied, “When you get to feeling better, call me.” She did, and the rest is history. Years later I took Grandma on a trip to see the house she grew up in. As we walked down a hallway, she stopped and said, “Hanging here on this wall was the phone I used to call your Grandpa to tell him I was feeling better.” It was a touching moment for me. The only family heirloom I own is the washstand that was placed beneath that phone.

I still miss Grandpa and Grandma. They were a vital part of my growing-up years.