Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Favorite Sermon Quotes

For sure, one highlight of the 20th anniversary at Second celebration was our reveling in several of my most often used quotes. Drs. Kevin Schriver and Ron Jones hit the ball out of the park. They gave me a copy of the script. As I looked over the list, I felt you might enjoy some background info on some of the quotes. Here goes.

“Listen to your Pastor. Look in my good eye.” I have no clue where this one came from. Every once in a while, someone will ask, “Pastor, which is your good eye?” I have to admit, “I don’t know.”

“You can go to my blog.” I still feel like such a hipster when I say this. It comes off my lips with an authority that seems to indicate I might know a little bit about technology. I don’t.

“When you see in the Bible a therefore, see what it’s there for.” I have said this for so many years that I have no clue where it came from.

“A text out of context is a pretext.” You would expect an Expository preacher to say something like this. A verse must be kept in its original setting to understand its rich fullness completely.

More later.