Monday, April 5, 2010

Ordination

Forty years ago today, I was ordained to the Gospel Ministry by Hooe
Baptist Church in Southeast Missouri. The church (pronounced hoe, not
hooey) sat on Base Line Road, between Morley and Bell City.


Dad preached the ordaining sermon. My Grandpa Hill was there, as was
my future father-in-law. Ruth had planned to come, but had the flu.


When I was born, Dad had named me for John the Baptist. At my
ordination, he preached from the text, "There was a man sent from God,
whose name was John." Dad challenged me to exhibit the traits of John
the Baptist's ministry.


By today's standards, my ordination was a very simple affair. But it
evidently worked. It's been a marvelous four decades. Thank You, Jesus.


Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall