Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Athlete

I decided I would enter a new world today. Athletes live in a
different zone somewhere. To be one of them means to boldly go where
many have never gone before.


I entered the one mile walk at the Cox Health Miracle Mile today. I
felt a tad bit out of place. First, they dress different. They have
timing watches, heart monitors, and Ipods attached to their arms.


Second, they look different. I feel I'm about an average sized guy,
but in that crowd I looked like a roly poly blob. Too many of the
people there today looked anorexic.


Third, they act different. There's a swagger about them. They are
incessantly warming up and stretching. All I wanted to do was eat a
hot dog.


In all seriousness I had a wonderful time. The best part of it was
time spent with my daughter Rebekah. As she finished the 5K run,
someone called her "a runner." That she is. I'm proud of her.


Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall