Thursday, January 1, 2015

40th Time

Early this New Years Day morning I have begun reading the Bible for the 40th time. I started in 1976, the bicentennial year.

I wanted to do something that year that would commemorate our nation and its religious heritage. I had already been in the ministry nine years at that point, but had never read the entire Bible. I decided it was time to change that failure on my part.

When I began that year, I was Pastor of Airport Baptist Church in Grenada MS. When I finished I was at Gosnell Baptist Church near Blytheville AR.

At the time I had no idea I would be reading the entire Bible annually for four decades. I have never regretted this rigorous spiritual discipline. I heartily commend it to you.

Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall