Monday, January 19, 2015

A. T. Pierson

Bob Roberts has asked me to preach for our World Missions Conference in February. One man whose messages are helping me is A. T. Pierson, who lived over 100 years ago.

I like to read dead preachers. Time has a way of removing the fluff. Sermons that long survive are wheat, not weeds.

Pierson contributed to the Scofield Bible, which most of us conservative preachers grew up with, even though we usually rejected its Dispensationalism.

This feat, though amazing, is not the main thing I admire Pierson for. To me, the biggest deal was; he served often as Spurgeon's substitute preacher. After Spurgeon died, Pierson was asked to stay on for a couple of years. He was always proud of the fact attendance increased, rather than decreased, during this time.

Pierson was serious about God, and radically earnest about Holy Writ. His zeal fires me up.

Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall