Friday, January 2, 2015

The Initial Psalms

The first 23 Psalms have to contain some of the most beautiful sentences ever written in the history of language. That's why I like to start my annual Bible reading with them.

By reading Psalm 1-23 on the first day of the year, I am deeply moved, my heart is warmed, I sense the presence of the Lord, I can relate to the pain in David's voice at times, I envy his admiration for God, and his enjoyment of the Lord's presence.

I think many of us would be content to read the Psalms every day for the rest of our lives, and read nothing else. But even as beautiful and wonderful as the Psalms are, they are not the whole counsel of God. We must systematically and repeatedly read the whole Bible.

Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall