Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Superman Taught Me To Read

When I started school, and first learned how to read, the thing that helped my reading skill the most was Superman comic books.


We could buy them real cheap at Womack's Drug Store. Mr. Womack was a collector of comic book front covers. Thus we were able to buy the mutilated copies cheap. It didn't matter to me. I devoured every issue. Reading was my ticket to adventure.


Why am I mentioning this? Because yesterday my five year old grandson told me he had watched a show about Superman's birth and escape from Krypton.


The story so impressed Ian that he switched his allegiance from Spiderman to Superman as his favorite super hero. He and I have argued this point often. I'm glad he has finally come around. My cosmos in congruent again. The planets are aligned. All's well with the world.


Let's all celebrate by reading a comic book. It's educational.


Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall