Saturday, January 19, 2013

Two-week Revival meetings

Do you remember two-week revival meetings? Seems like ancient history, doesn't it? The last ones I attended were in the month of August in the late 1960s. It's hard to believe we church folks actually wanted to go to church every night for 14 days in a row, but it was true. We loved the singing, preaching, and hanging out.

The last two I attended took place back to back. Wade Paris, Pastor of Murray Lane Baptist Church in Sikeston MO, preached a two-week revival at our church, Southside Baptist in Cape Girardeau. The day after it ended, Dad started a two-week revival at Commerce Baptist Church, where my Grandpa Marshall was Pastor. In essence I went to church every day for that whole month. Interestingly enough, I remember it as a fond memory, though I was a teen at the time.

I doubt we will ever bring back the two-week revivals (And all the people said. . .). I remember when we went to one-week revivals, then four days (Sunday through Wednesday), then weekend meetings. I even remember churches advertising one-day revival meetings: two services in the morning, two at night, and maybe one in the afternoon for good measure. The times have changed.

417-887-3111 x110
Twitter & FB john316marshall