Friday, May 10, 2013

Miskito Poverty

On my  flight into Managua, I sat next to the first Swedenborgian I have ever met. A small Christian group, their most famous adherent was Helen Keller.

I think I was the first Baptist preacher he had ever met. His office is one block away from the Empire State Building. He oversees a resort for the wealthiest family in Nicaragua.

He was an utter contrast to the Pastors I met the next morning. Twenty-one Miskitos had ridden an old bus for 21 hours to reach Managua. Several of them had walked ten hours to catch the bus. They had no currency with them. John Edie's ministry had to cover all their expenses.

They appreciated every gesture of kindness. It was a refreshing experience for me. I truly felt they were the kind of people Jesus would have been very comfortable with.