Thursday, May 9, 2013

Miskito

I have fallen in love with another people group, the Miskito of Nicaragua. They live on the far Eastern side of Nicaragua.

Their isolation has long caused them to be overlooked by the government in Managua. In 2009 they declared their independence from Nicaragua. A silent stalemate has followed their announcement.

Their nation of about 300,000 is ruled by seven Elders. Three of these men are Pastors, and were among the Pastors School students John Edie and I taught this week in Managua. One of the three is the lead elder of the Miskitos. He is the driving force behind their effort to gain independence.

This effort on their part is no surprise. They have a strong independent streak. The Spanish Conquistadors were never able to defeat them. When I referred to this fact in my lesson, they spontaneously broke into exuberant applause. I'll blog more about them in the next few days.

Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall