Thursday, July 10, 2014

God Is Just Not Fair

So says the title of Jennifer Rothschild's excellent new book. I will not tackle the apostrophe debate in this post.

Jennifer is the most famous member of Second Baptist Church in Springfield. She hates when I say this, but it's true nonetheless. It is a high honor to be her Pastor.

I loved this book because it fights head-on against depression, a burden I battled till I was 35 years old. This is not an academic work; it is in-the-trenches reporting from the front line.

I ached all over when she wrote that being delivered from blindness may not be as hard as being delivered from despair. You can feel her agony coming off the page.

The book also makes you laugh out loud. Her husband Phil, in his underwear, once chased down a criminal. Yet this hero also drops his dirty clothes on the floor. One of my favorite stories is when Jennifer in public reached out to pat Phil you know where, but. . . Oh well, I will let you read the book.

By the way, the story of the blind lady on the bus and her Air Force husband will make you bawl. Great stuff.

Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall