Saturday, August 14, 2010

Pessimism all bad?

Lo and behold! While looking at a bookshelf in my office yesterday, I saw three books I had long lost. Each had a humorous albeit significant impact on my life. I remember them well.

The books are Murphy's Law (books 1 and 2) and The Peter Principle. The latter taught, in an organization, people are usually promoted to their level of incompetence. I've seen it happen too often in ministers. Blessed is the person who finds their stride and stays hitched.

The Murphy's Law books helped me look askance at a skewed world and not be upset thereby. Too much pessimism leads to defeatism. Too much optimism leads to disillusionment.

I think the best way to live is with a limited amount of pessimism. This way, life is filled with pleasant surprises all the time, which in turn allows you brief interludes of true optimism. You will be happier when you accept as a normal axiom of life, if anything can go wrong, it will; also remember its first corollary: and at the worst possible time.

Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall