Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Exciting Clothes

I had no idea how much excitement would be generated by the jeans I wore to church. I think it's my biggest clothing splash since, as a young naive teenage preacher, I wore a black suit with white socks and oxford shoes. I stood out in the crowd.


Preachers are to be nondescript, and not call undue attention to ourselves. This is why Calvin required his preachers to wear a black robe. Nothing was to distract from the Bible being the focus of attention.


One fact is sure. For better or worse, my attire captured a lot of attention. I posted a picture on Facebook, and received 88 responses, the most I have ever received on a post.


I read words about my clothes I had never seen before. "You are stylin'." "Lookin' good." "Keep it up." "I can't tell you how proud I am." "Glad I'm rubbing off on you."


Stay with me this week on my blog. I will try to process this episode, and see what it might mean.


Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall