Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Tombstone Pillow

Spent much of yesterday with grandchildren.  What better way to spend a day off?  Ian (age 4) told me Lilly Ruth (age 2) was fussing a lot.  When I asked why she was grumpy, he said, “Because God made her like that.”  Irrefutable theology.

 

Took Sam with me to do a cemetery run.  I’m still tracking down graves of Second Baptist charter members.  Sam’s autism causes him to want to run toward things he really likes—his gameboy, his DVD player, the trampoline, etc.  In the graveyard, though, he would take off running, go maybe ten steps, and then turn around as if to say, there’s nothing out here worth running to.  I knew I had worn him out when I saw him lean against one of the tombstones and rest his head on it.  I had mercy on him and we left the necropolis.

 

Caleb is one of our young people going to Rockaway Beach every day this week to help with VBS.  He’s having a great time.  Ken and Jaci did a great job planning this mission project.

 

My new computer is to be installed in about 53 minutes.  Hopefully I will be able to cope.

 

Humor helps.  Classified ad bloopers.  Dynamite workers wanted:  must be willing to travel.  Great dames for sale.  Amana washer $100:  owned by clean bachelor who seldom washed.  Vacation special:  have your home exterminated.  Toaster:  automatically burns toast.  Christmas gifts for the hard-to-find person.