Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My Irish Roots

Happy St. Patrick's Day. We all have a wee bit of the Irish in us,
don't we?


My family's Ireland story revolves around the ancestors of my Grandma
Sally Bird Marshall. Three Puckett brothers were conscripted by the
British to fight in the War of 1812.


The three refused to fight against the USA and chose to flee here for
asylum. They first settled in eastern Kentucky, but eventually settled
in western Tennessee, near Obion.


Years ago I went to see the old homestead. A house built over 100
years ago was still standing. It was the house where my Grandpa and
Grandma courted. I even found the grave of one of the three brothers.


I am preaching this morning. Yes, I will be wearing a bright green tie.


Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall