Saturday, May 29, 2010

Cataract Surgery #1

The saga of my eyes is the stuff legends are made of. When six years
old I lived in Illmo MO, which eventually merged with Fornfelt and
Ancell to become Scott City. In other words, ill-mo-mo is-no-mo.

One night our town high school was playing a basketball game against
our arch-rivals, the Chaffee Red Devils. This, by the way, was Ruth's
home at the time.

As the game progressed, I kept asking Dad what the score was. He kept
telling me to look at the scoreboard. I told dad I couldn't see it.
That's how Mom and Dad first realized I needed glasses.

Thus began 52 years of strong prescriptions to undo profound
nearsightedness. I had cataract surgery on my right eye Wednesday. I
guess tomorrow will be the first time in over half a century I have
attended church without wearing glasses. Wow.

Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall