Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Nostalgia in waves

It's been years since I came to Southeast Missouri for a visit. I was not expecting the overwhelming surge of emotions this trip has caused.


In Poplar Bluff we stopped to buy gasoline. My Mom's parents lived here over 40 years. In my childhood and teen years, I spent Thanksgiving and Christmas here every year. Those seemed to be simpler times.


The next town on today's trip was Dexter. I preached there one Sunday night as a teenage preacher and then decided to drive home to Cape to go out for pizza with my home church youth group.


When I arrived I saw a new young lady. It was the first time I laid eyes on Ruth. I remember it vividly. It was precious to point out to Ruth today the precise ramp I drove out of Dexter on that night.


Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall