Thursday, August 18, 2011

Simpler Times

The Wilson's Creek battle reenactment was more than fun and games for me. I did enjoy every nanosecond of it, but I was also analyzing the experience.


The wedding reenactment was plain. It reminded me again of how we have made many modern marriages into events so complex that everyone connected with them is miserable. For many, the best part of their wedding is when it's finally over. Sad.


The 1861 church service was also simple. Hay bales were the only pews. Two logs tied together to form a cross provided the only furnishing. Shade and a gentle breeze were the only air conditioning.


Do I want to return to those days? No. I like air conditioning and soft seats. However, I do think we need to always be examining the accoutrements we build around worship. We should ever be asking, is this addition meaningful or superfluous?


Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall