Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Smallest Baptist College?

I'm on the last leg home of my preaching trip to what may be the smallest college connected with our Southern Baptist state conventions. Clear Creek Baptist Bible College has about 150 students.


The school is nestled in Appalachia, in far eastern Kentucky. To get there I flew into Knoxville and then rode by car for about two hours.


The auto ride was amazing. The mountain scenery was breathtaking. The biggest thrill to me on the journey was seeing the Cumberland Gap, where Daniel Boone blazed a trail.


Cars used to have to go up and over the Gap, but now a one-mile long tunnel runs beneath it. I entered the tunnel in Tennessee, drove through Virginia, and exited the tunnel in Kentucky.


The faculty, alumni, and students at CCBBC treated me like a prince. I felt like I was being welcomed to Walton's Mountain. I am heading home a preacher blessed by the kind, gentle folks at a small Baptist college with a huge heart.


Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshall