Sunday, July 21, 2013

Boll Weevil



Twitter @john316marshall
www.facebook.com/john316marshallWhile on vacation I preached at a missions conference near Destin in Enterprise AL. Hillcrest Baptist Church there is a large congregation. Several hundred were there on a Monday night.

I wanted to have my picture made with the only monument in the world dedicated to the boll weevil. Most cotton farmers hate boll weevils, but not in Enterprise AL.

One year boll weevils totally destroyed the cotton crop. To survive, the locals planted rice, and made a fortune. Thus they are grateful for the boll weevil.

I call this the Romans 8:28 monument. By the way, it is in the middle of the street at a busy intersection. The Missions Pastor who took this picture of Pastor Michael Mynatt and me almost got hit buy a SUV. No kidding.