Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Jesus-footprint in Man of Steel

Yesterday Ruth and I saw the new Superman movie, Man of Steel. I couldn't help but be amazed by the Christ-symbols in it: only birth of its kind, sent to save the world, bearded scene in which Superman, floating in the position of the cross, looks amazingly like our traditional pictures of Jesus. Evil beings were released from an evil "Purgatory". Evolution lost (an interesting observation).

The movie reminds me that the mega-story of Western Culture, the ideals by which we live, are drawn straight from the life of Christ. Our enemies may hate it and assail it, but the Jesus-footprint is still strong in our country. We cannot escape the idea of a loving God who comes to rescue our planet by fighting evil forces and seeking to bring about good in us all.

The movie emotionally exhausted me. I am a lifelong Superman fan. I take a personal interest in his well being. I jerked, jumped, dodged, and hunkered down in my seat often. Ruth kept saying, "It's just a movie." Just a movie? Not when its Superman fighting for truth, justice, and the American Way.

Twitter & FB john316marshall