Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Praying Pastors

Connection Card Prayer Requests

Prepared by Dr. John E. Marshall

Building Dynamic Pastors Conference

Greene County Baptist Association

Paul was prolific in his intercessory prayers.In at least nine letters, he let individuals and churches know he prayed for them. He claimed he prayed "always" for the Romans (1:10), Corinthians (1:4), Colossians (1:3), Thessalonians (I Thessalonians 1:2; 2 Thessalonians 1:11), and Philemon (Phil. 4). He "constantly" remembered Timothy in prayer "night and day" (2 Tim. 1:3), and also prayed for the Ephesians (1:16) and Philippians (1:3).

The only way he could have fulfilled all these claims would have been to have a method, a systematic approach to prayer. He either had a written list, or committed them all to memory. Whichever way it was, the main thing is; he obviously had some type of system. Paul was intentional in his praying for others. 

Often we fail in inter­cession not because we don't want to pray, but because we don't plan to. With­out foresight, and unless we plan otherwise before­hand, we constrict our pray­ers, narrowing them down to our own little circles.

In the matter of intercession, "the power of prayer is gained by systematic discipline" (West­cott). Emphasize the word "system­at­ic."

Two practices have kept my circle of prayer from constricting to me, my four, and no more. Nothing has been more helpful in keeping me faithful in intercessory prayer than these two customs. One, for years I have kept a prayer fold­er containing various lists of names--family, fellow staff, church members, peo­ple with special requests, etc. Two, I pray over prayer requests turned in on connection cards each Sunday.

Second used a trifold Sunday bulletin until May 2016. The information card, which included a place for prayer requests, was inside the bulletin. We would receive some written prayer requests, but never a lot. 

In May 2016 we went to a simpler bulletin; one piece, no fold, with limited info on each side. At the bottom of the front side, we included a tear-off prayer card. Immediately our number of prayer requests skyrocketed. Evidently, having the card "in their face" caused people to see it and use it.

Once I saw what was happening, I decided to catch this prayer wave, and provide more momentum. At our Sunday worship services, I began referencing this prayer request tear-off section, and promised people I would pray for them every day that week if they shared a written prayer request. This increased the number of requests even more.

I then began asking them to pray for Ruth and me in return for my praying for them. This seemed to add a personal touch the people responded to well. 

I soon found myself wanting to make contact with some who made prayer requests, especially ones I knew fairly well and/or those whose prayer requests contained urgency. I would guess I started contacting 10 or so people a week. Then it went to 15; now it sometimes approaches 20.

When I contact a person I draw a line diagonally across their card. Sometimes I write at the very top of the card pertinent info I glean from contacting them.

I use texting, Facebook Messenger, and email. Each of these has their advantage. Texting is by far the fastest and surest way to reach people. In each text, since most of those requesting prayer are not in my phone contact list, I begin the text by greeting the receiver by their name, followed by my name. This allows me to identify them when they write back, and lets them know who is contacting them.

Messenger gives me direct access to many who follow me on Facebook. Email info comes from our church database, which allows me to click on a member's email info. Email allows me to quickly print out responses, and put them in my prayer folder. One drawback to email is sometimes it is not checked by people. It is the least reliable of these three forms of communication. I do not telephone unless I know the person extremely well.

When I see people I have prayed for, I tell them I have been praying for them. I consider this to be vital, and to be a following of Bible precedent. 

When we give to the poor, we are to do so "in secret" (MT 6:4), but this does not apply to intercession. We don't want to be self-righteous or ostentatious about it, but the Bible clearly lets us know it is okay to tell others we are praying for them.

Moses let the people know he was praying for them (Deut. 9:25-26). Samuel did too (1 Sam. 12:23). Jesus told Peter He had prayed for him (Luke 22:31-32a). He let the disciples know He prayed for them (John 17:9), and let us know He would pray for us (John 17:20). Paul, as stated earlier, let individuals and churches know he prayed for them. Intercede, and then tell each other you are praying for them. Love can fly on the wings of this. 

I receive the connection cards on Monday. I pray over them Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I am not legalistic about these days. I may do the cards twice on one day. My intent is to pray over the cards 5 times that week.

At week's end, most cards are discarded, but some mention definite future dates, or pressing requests I think merit more of my prayer time. I keep some cards long term. When finished with the cards, I shred them. I don't want someone to see their card in a trash bin, and think I was casting them off.