Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Music of Heaven

Last night Ken and Stephanie Goodman, Ruth, 4600 other friends, and I
made our annual pilgrimage to the Southern Gospel Festival at Silver
Dollar City. I kept thinking they should let Ken sing. His rendition
of "I Believe in a Hill Called Mt. Calvary" should be required
listening in every home in America.


I saw a sign that said Silver Dollar City serves 40,000 pieces of
fried chicken during the Gospel Music Festival. That's a lot of
religious calories and cholestoral.


I'm not surprised chicken dominates the festival. The Gospel Bird has
long been a staple of Baptist life. Chicken jokes abound.


A Baptist preacher's belt is a fence around a chicken graveyard. On
Sunday, when chickens see the preacher coming for Sunday dinner, they
run to the back of the farm.


A true story. At my brother's ordination, the last question asked him
was, "Do you like chicken?" He said yes and everyone laughed. Over
the years I have wondered if he could have been ordained had he said no.