Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A Bunch of Preachers

This will be the second of three days I am spending with about 25
church leaders to discuss the possibility of their churches partnering
with us in San Francisco. Preachers are a wild and crazy bunch,
especially when they are away from home.


Ruth's Aunt Eileen, who was a beautician for sixty years, said when
people's hair gets wet, their tongues get loose. My observation is,
when preachers travel, their tongues get loose. They immediately
become world class stand up comics.


I spent the whole day yesterday hooting and howling. Every Baptist
preacher has stories of people they dropped in the baptistry, of gaffs
made at the Lord's Supper, of church members who did or said
ridiculous things.


My favorite moment so far has been a fellow pastor's t-shirt that
says, "People say I have ADD. How would they...Look!! There goes a
chicken."


I am at this very moment laughing out loud. Wait!! There goes a
chicken.