Wednesday, August 5, 2009

McCord Bend

Last night I went to observe the Vacation Bible School our people are conducting at First Baptist Church in McCord Bend.  The Robert Duffer class has been doing this each August for the last seven years.  I saw a lot of happy workers, and a lot more happy children.  There are not many activities for children in McCord Bend.  I’m grateful for a class that goes the extra mile to care for the least of these.  Jesus is proud.


Have you been to the fair yet?  The Swine sign, the manure pit, and the mules await thee.  If you miss out, don’t blame me.


These are good days for the Marshall family.  We seem to be content and well.  The Lord is good and greatly to be praised.


Humor helps.  I’ve been in cemeteries.  Here are funny epitaphs someone emailed me.  A coff carried him off; a coffin they carried him off in.  On a lawyer’s stone:  “The defense rests.”  On auctioneer’s grave:  “Going. Going. Gone.”  Here lies Lester Moore, four slugs from a forty-four, no Les, no More.  Bill Blake:  Hanged by mistake.  Zeke:  second fastest draw in Cripple Creek.  No, I do not believe all these are real.  But I do find them funny.